Electro-Acoustic Upright Bass Jam #2





This is the 2nd video of " Electro-Acoustic Upright Bass Jam" .
I always like to create drum patterns even if it is without any purpose. And in this video series, I would like to explore something musically while jamming....

Recently, I'm wondering if I could to create rhythms with different sounds instead of using  drum kit sounds..., so I took a pattern that was originally created with normal drum kit sounds and changed it to some kind of ethnic instrument kit sound. And it sounded like a " World Beat " I like it and I took it.

I feel this kind of mood was by rock musicians in the 80's as there experiment work but I think it could be interesting if we retake them as one of  contexts of jazz.... I'd love to push this feeling a bit further.

On the technical side... 
I tried to create the "main riff" also works as the "theme" of this tune. So the bass riff can also work  as the main motif. ( I'll define the word " Riff " as " a short motif that works as a part of the rhythmic thing " ) I am still experimenting with this idea but this style of " Riff = Theme ", we can find not only in traditional music of many countries but also in Heavy Metal tune and others. So it is very popular style, not new one. But I have been focusing on writing " melodies " in my compositions, so I am still new to this kind of style.

Another goal is " How to Riff with less notes? " 
One of my ideas is to create musical structure that improvisation will be on the repetition of the main riff, so I wanted to leave enough space. So it's quite difficult to give it a musical identity as a tune with minimum of notes....  I also tried to create a motif not limiting tonality too much.

"not limiting the tonality too much" it means that we have a wider choice of notes in improvisation. And the overall mood will be changed depending on the note of the other instruments ( this time, my electro acoustic upright bass's solo ). " open " but " twisted " feeling... I tried to play the solo for this idea but I am still in the process of developing this.


Album " Manipulated Dreams " is available  on Spotify
 

Enjoy this Blog?

Support Kentaro SUZUKI on Patreon or Ko-fi

Become a Patron!

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com